Today was the first run of week 2 of training for the London marathon. When I first heard that I have a place in the 2015 London Marathon, I resolved to buy a buggy that I could run with as I didn’t think that the Maclaren Techno XT that served us so well at first, was really going to be a running buggy. Being a stay-at-home Dad gives me some flexibility about when I run, as long as I fit it into Mtoto’s schedule. And that also means fitting Mtoto into the run. The easiest way to do this is to run with Mtoto while he’s having his “Quiet Time”, which he has every afternoon and most often he naps then.

I bought our Mountain Buggy Urban Terrain in late October from a woman near Montreux. It was a funny thing – a long train ride down there, meeting her and giving her the money and getting the buggy and then taking the next train back to Geneva. Since then I’ve been meaning to run with the buggy but have put it off and put it off. Eventually, today was the next year, next month, next week and tomorrow I’ll do it all rolled into one, so we did it.

Mtoto was put out at first (“No Pappa, I don’t want you to run with the buggy”) but soon he was advocating that we should try it at least once. So we did.

The result was that he fell asleep fairly quickly (though he was already rather tired) and I ran 3.89 miles in 35:04 at 9:01 minutes per mile pace, well inside my intended marathon pace and fairly similar to the pace I’ve been running for the past few weeks without a buggy. And that was good for my Janathon exercise today too.

Another good reason to run in the day today is that in our home, Monday night is washing night. We don’t have a washing machine and instead we make use of the common washing and drying machines in our basement. We have our weekly slot and that’s the only time we have to do our washing in the week. As I’ll be running on Mondays, it makes sense to me to get it done in the day and then I can use the evening dashing back and forth, getting our washing in and out of machines, on and off racks, trying to juggle the limited space and the lots of laundry.

It was fairly easy to adjust to running with the Mountain Buggy. It felt a bit strange at first but I soon got used to it. There’s a useful article on the Mountain Buggy website that reminds Buggy runners to check out their posture and running position and I tried to keep those principles in mind. The sunshine over Geneva helped too. There was hardly a cloud in the sky and what cloud there was was in the form of a mystical mist above the city and in the foothills of the Jura, giving the mountains a beautiful look. Running back towards home I had the sun in my eyes and that was fabulous too. Everything vindicated my decisions today. I hope it stays that way!

No new birds to report today, alas.